Friday, February 6, 2009

Welcome to Lost Dogs Found

For years, I've been saving stories of dogs lost and eventually recovered. I will share these stories here - hopefully as often as daily unless something prevents it. I can also share videos, slide shows and hyper-links to other websites that may have help for those looking for a lost dog.

This should be a resource for those needing to learn how to go about recovering a lost dog, as must stories illustrate something worth learning about. It should be a source of hope for those running out of hope for the return of their lost dogs. Some stories will illustrate how much work it takes to search for a lost dog; other stories lack that detail and maybe even make it look easy. Some are written from the perspective of the dog's own people, some from the rescuer, some from third party or link in the chain. The stories come from every imaginable type of website, although the single largest source is newspaper stories published online. Some are short, some are long. Some are fascinating, some not so much. There's really only the one thing they have in common -- that they are stories of dogs that were lost, and then found.

I hope you enjoy them, and feel free to post comments. (Comments are preferred to email, especially if you have a story to share that you've found online -- the sharing is immediate!)

For now, I'll leave you with a little poetry, from a dog's perspective:

The gate was left open one bright sunny day
So I thought I would go, explore, run, and play.

Seeing new things, this is such fun!
But where do I go, now that I’m done?

Was it back this way, or maybe that?
Where is my home? I want to go back.

I have on my collar, it’s red, white and blue
But, I don’t have my tags to give someone a clue.

A man comes and gets me, puts me in his truck
He’s taking me home, Oh, what luck!

Wait a minute, this isn’t my home
I’m stuck in a cage, scared and alone.

People come see me, so I wag my tail
I love the attention I get in this jail.

The food is okay, and the bed is too
But I really miss home, yet what can I do?

I miss my yard, my bed, and my ball
But, I miss my master the most of all.

Where is my master? It must have been weeks
I know he will come. He really loves me.

Then someone takes me down a long hall
I’m confused and uncertain, I stare at the wall.

I feel a prick, things start to go dark
I think of my master and me in the park.

I’m going to sleep now with him on my mind
Little do I know, my fate has been signed.

I pray when I wake, he will be there
Holding me close, stroking my hair.

I’m sorry I strayed, who knew the cost?
But it doesn’t have to happen when dogs get lost.

No comments: