Sunday, July 12, 2009

Dog Lost Inside a Neighbor's House

An email by Stephen Benson Farrell,
submitted by Beth Massey to IndyWeek.com

Shelter from the storm

Hi folks! Some of you may remember me saying today how the storm hit really close to my house last night and the thunder blew open our front door. Well, I had a surprise waiting for me when I got home ...

I got out of my car, grabbed the mail and looked through it to see someone's missing dog poster ...

I opened my door, sat down my books and began my daily routine of obsessing over things to do ...

I walked over to my coffee table to set down the mail, and casually glanced around the room; everything was in place, the TV was off, the room was fairly clean (for us anyway), the cats were conspicuously absent, the fish tanks were humming away, and the black and white pitbull/hound mix was sitting terrified in the corner ...

WHAT THE ... ?

I jumped back, nearly killed myself on the coffee table, and probably made the dog want to soil my carpet!

He was the exact match of the dog in the missing animal poster. His family lost him three days ago, and he had been adopted from an animal shelter after an abused past.

When his Dad got there to pick him up, he went from huddled in the corner shaking to wagging like he'd shake the house down.

It was wonderful seeing him reunited with his family. The fellow offered me a reward but I couldn't take it. I still remember the terror of my cat being lost for a month when I was young.

What really strikes me as funny is that this poor dog had sat there huddled in the corner most of last night and all of this morning unnoticed while Barbara and I got dressed, kissed our goodbyes and shuffle-stepped our lazy-butt and sleepy-eyed selves out the door to work and school. We didn't notice a thing!

And by the way, for anyone wondering, the cats are fine, all present and accounted for!

Click for a larger view of the published email


Source: http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A262348

No comments: