Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Toby, walker hound

Dog Reunited With Family After Major Snowstorm Reporting
Mary Bubala BALTIMORE (WJZ)CBS
Feb 8, 2010 6:21 pm US/Eastern


We brought you a number of stories during our extended snow coverage over the weekend, but one story about a missing dog touched many of you. E-mails about Toby poured into WJZ.

Mary Bubala has an update on the dog and the search for his owner.

"I found this guys along I-895 and Moravia Road just in the middle of the highway laying down," said Col. John Gavrilis.

Live on our air Saturday night, the head of MTA's police force, Col. Gavrilis, made our hearts melt in the middle of a snowstorm. He had found a dog, freezing and alone, and rescued him.

"The dog was just in the middle of the street, so I got a ham sandwich out that I had packed with me and I lured him into my car. And as luck would have it, I found WJZ down on Boston Street," said Gavrilis.

Little Toby is a great puppy.

WJZ's Jessica Kartalijia and her crew made sure our viewers got a phone number to call if they knew the dog's owners. Calls and e-mails poured into WJZ and into Jason Grady's Bolton Hill home. He and his wife had posted this photo on Craigslist for a missing dog.

"People started calling us. The dog's on the news, turn on Channel 13," said Jason Grady.

The family called us, and we helped reunite them with their dog - a 3-year-old walker hound.

Toby got away during a walk in Patterson Park on Saturday and roamed all the way to Moravia Road near I-895.

"He must have caught a scent like hounds do and took off running. Normally I'd be able to get him, but in 30 inches of snow, not happening," said Grady.

Jason, his wife, Leah, and son Jaden are now a family again with Toby by their side. And Jason has a message for Colonel Gavrilis.

"Thank you, Colonel. Sorry about your sandwich, I heard he ate your sandwich," said Grady.

"I am just so happy that it was a great ending and the dog made his way home," said Gavrilis. "Yeah, we know [Toby] loves ham and cheese."

Toby has been back out in the snow after resting up most of the day Sunday. He seems to be in great condition.

Source: http://wjz.com/pets/snow.maryland.storm.2.1479869.html

No comments: