Saturday, July 17, 2010

Bonnie, great dane

Bonnie lost and found
Graham Reeks
24th June 2010

Roz Feeney, from Maroochy River, is reunited with her great dane Bonnie after she was "lost and found" in the Daily pages.

Roz Feeney, from Maroochy River, is reunited with her great dane Bonnie after she was "lost and found" in the Daily pages.

DOGGED determination and a couple of “news hounds” have helped reunite a pet owner and her backyard escapee after some canine capers on the weekend.

Busy mineworker Roz Feeney started fretting when her beloved great dane Bonnie escaped from her property at Maroochy River.

But the wayward pooch was homeward bound yesterday thanks to two advertisements in the classified section of the Daily.

Roz was working as a driller in the Clermont mine in Central Queensland when the giant seven-year-old canine went AWOL with her other dog, Frank, a harlequin great dane.

“Frank went for a wander through a hole in the fence and Bonnie must have gone after him,” she said.

“She's never done that before.”

Roz's friend Ashton Kelly was dog-sitting at the time.

She felt so guilty she took the lead in the search, driving the local streets and putting up posters.

And Roz's neighbour began hounding bus drivers and churchgoers for clues to Bonnie's whereabouts.

“I was in Clermont and I have no signal on my phone in the pit,” Roz said.

“Even when I had just one bar (on my phone), I was looking at it and going, ‘Come on – phone'.

“I felt like my heart was breaking.”

Meanwhile, just up the street, dog lovers Bill and Jo Redman and their jack russell Charlie were getting to know a new four-legged friend.

“Somebody came around with her (Bonnie) in the back of a ute,” Bill said.

“And I wouldn't let him take her to the pound because it's my belief that anyone who comes to my house is my guest.

“There's not too many great danes around.

“And I'm known for keeping them (dogs) until someone picks them up.”

Bonnie received plenty of TLC at the Redman house, sleeping in comfort – complete with doggie blanket – on a sofa on the veranda overnight. Bill also made sure she was well fed with a bacon-and-egg breakfast.

Bonnie and the Redmans' relationship could have continued happily, but another of Roz's concerned friends, Dallas Lum, placed a lost notice in the Daily's Local Classifieds section while Bill placed a found notice on the same day.

Bill said he could hardly believe his eyes when the two notices were placed almost side by side on page 52 of yesterday's edition.

Roz was thankful the Coast has so many dog lovers willing to help bring a happy ending to the tale.

“I just had a call from a lady who saw the found ad in the paper saying it could be my dog,” she said.

“And I've had two or three calls from people saying they saw Bonnie at Dunethin Rock.”

Puppy love, it seems, knows no bounds.

Resource: http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2010/06/24/what-have-you-done/

No comments: