Friday, August 20, 2010

Max, westie

Family reunited with dog who went missing for six days in Ben Lomond
by Gary Fanning, Hamilton Advertiser
Aug 19 2010

A FAMILY were overjoyed at being reunited with their pet dog who went missing for six days in the Ben Lomond area.


Ross and Mandy Gilroy and their five-year-old daughter Millie, of Craigbank Street, Larkhall, were devastated after little Westie Max vanished after climbing to the top of the 3196ft. mountain with Ross.

The pair ascended the alternative route, known as the Ptarmigan path, to the summit.

Max, who was off his lead, spotted some sheep... and leaped over a ridge and started chasing them before getting lost.

Electrician Ross (36) had his hopes of finding Max dashed after searching up and down Ben Lomond for three consecutive days after he disappeared.

But six days later Max – covered in mud – was rescued by an elderly couple who found him scrambling on a rock beside Loch Lomond.

Ross said: “I lost all hope of finding Max.

“I was in disbelief. I couldn’t believe he could get away so easy.

“I was crying that I couldn’t find him. I was heartbroken.

“I didn’t want to upset Millie, so I told her that Max was from the Highlands and was spending some time there playing with sheep.”

Ross had telephoned his wife Mandy (32), a nurse at Wishaw General Hospital, to tell her the dreaded news that Max was lost.

He added: “She said that I better not leave without him.

“I tried my best to find him. I went back the following day but I couldn’t find him. I went up again on the Monday; still there was no sign.

“I searched everywhere but I couldn’t find him.”

Ross put up ‘missing’ posters in Invershiel and other villages around Ben Lomond.

A dog looking like Max was spotted running about a car park in Rowardennan.

Staff at the Rowardennan Hotel said that they had noticed a Westie roaming about during the day.

Then a couple from Bearsden said they found a little Westie.

Ross said: “They had a Westie of their own and it heard our Max barking and drew their attention to it.

“They found the dog scrambling on a rock in the loch.”

Ross said he was delighted to get Max back. They have had the pet for three years.

“He’s a good wee dog and a typical Westie who is fun and loving.

“When he came home he was treated to chicken and liver.

“All his claws were ripped during the time he was missing. I think he might have been fighting with something and he had some scars. But he is a survivor.

“We will never know what happened to him while he was gone.”

Source: http://www.hamiltonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local-news/hamilton-news/2010/08/19/family-reunited-with-dog-who-went-missing-for-six-days-in-ben-lomond-51525-27087513/

No comments: