Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sadie, pomeranian

Pomeranian stolen from Onset yard reunited with owner
By Ashleigh Bennett , Wicked Local Wareham
Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 11:10 AM

Sadie, a purebred Pomeranian, was stolen out of an Onset yard last year.

ONSET — Kathleen Stetson received one of the greatest Christmas presents this year. In July 2009, her Pomeranian, Sadie, was stolen from her fenced-in backyard. So she was beside herself when, over a year later, she got a phone call saying, “We found your dog.”

Sadie was stolen from Stetson’s summer home in Onset, where she’s spent her summers for the past 35 years.

“I was out on the porch with a friend,” she said, “and I went inside to answer the phone. When I came back a minute later, Sadie was gone.”

“I knocked on doors, I put up fliers and I called every shelter,” she continued, “but because it was a long weekend, I couldn’t get in touch with everyone.”

Stetson also found out that the microchip Sadie had doesn’t act as a GPS locator; it only works when scanned by a vet or shelter.

Stetson, who has to undergo surgery for severe leg, joint and arthritic problems, was sitting with a neighbor the day before she had to go in for another surgery when her phone rang.

“I was just telling a neighbor about Sadie,” she said, “and two hours later, the Dartmouth Humane Society called telling me that they found her.”

She rushed from her Attleboro home to Dartmouth to be reunited with her dog.

“Sadie remembered me. She definitely recognized my voice,” she said.

Sadie, in true dog fashion, walked through the front door and went right to where her food bowl was.

Stetson said that receiving that phone call was like a dream come true. She never gave up hope on being reunited with Sadie, but she said that after she didn’t get a call about Sadie during the first two weeks, she began to worry that something horrible had happened to the dog.

“Your mind goes crazy,” she said, “For months, I dreamed she was crying for me and I couldn’t get to her. It was very disheartening.”

The woman who dropped Sadie off at the shelter said she found the dog wandering the streets in the rain. Stetson, though, feels the scenario doesn’t add up. Sadie was dry and well groomed despite the weather, and the woman also dropped off a toy with the dog, which she had renamed as “Sugar.”

As someone who regularly donates to the MSPCA to prevent animal abuse, delivers food to people who can’t leave their home and who works at the Attleboro Food Pantry, Stetson was deeply bothered by whoever could be callous enough to steal her dog.

“It’s really wrong and needs to be stopped,” she said. “There needs to be some type of repercussion for people who do this. It’s very inhumane, and it nearly destroyed me.”

Stetson isn’t sure who stole her dog, but she thinks Sadie was stolen to be bred, and she will find out this week if Sadie had a littler of puppies. Purebred Pomeranian puppies can go for $1,000.

“The day Sadie was stolen, I changed. I went into a deep depression, and everything went downhill from there,” she said. “I lost my job, had gotten injured and had gone through a second surgery for my legs.”

Stetson couldn’t bring herself to return to Onset without Sadie.

Meanwhile, she bought another Pomeranian named Sunny Boy. Sunny Boy and Sadie get along perfectly.

“They’re like brother and sister,” she said. “they play and play-fight all day. If you have one dog, you need two.”

“I couldn’t go back last year because it conjured up so many bad memories,” she added. “But now, this year, I get to go back with two beautiful Pomeranians.”

Source: http://www.wickedlocal.com/wareham/news/x1682030015/Pomeranian-stolen-from-Onset-yard-reunited-with-owner

No comments: