Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Stella, lost during a tornado

The Search for Stella: Storm Victims Reunited With Lost Dog
11/19/2013

PEKIN - Many dogs and cats are still homeless as shattered communities work to rebuild. Now, their owners are turning to social media as a way to find their pets. Thanks to technology, those efforts are paying off.

Sunday aftermath:

Tornado victims Josh Stevens and Margaret Greenhalgh don't have a place to live. Their belongings are gone. But their lives are complete…all because of  Stella.


"It’s been a pretty profound situation since I found her,” said Stevens.

On Sunday, the pair arrived at their Washington apartment complex to a disaster scene.

"The kitchen wall is gone, the roof is tore off,” Stevens described.  “Worst case scenarios were running through my head.”

The young dog was nowhere to be found.

"Everybody’s like, ‘Well, what are you going to do?  We've been wondering where you're going to go.’  I didn't care," said Stevens.  "Nothing mattered because I didn't have her."

“She’s our baby, she’s just so sweet,” said Greenhalgh.

The days passed. Frantic, Stevens turned to social media looking for leads on his long lost pal.

"I posted the picture of her and the caption just said, ‘Lost contact me.’  It just kind of steamrolled,” said Stevens.

A photo, shared nearly 10,000 times.

“It wasn't just Illinois,” said Stevens.  “There were people in Wisconsin, Tennessee, and Louisiana that were hitting me up.  It was wonderful."

Shortly after, Stevens received a call from a local animal clinic. Stella had been located.

 "I wish I could thank whoever found her.  I'm indebted to them."

"Thank you, thank you so much for helping us out,” added Greenhalgh.  “Now it’s happy tears.”

All because of a Facebook post.




The power of communication, that sent Stella back home.

"For those who haven't found their pets yet...don't give up,” said Greenhalgh.

“I wish I could thank everybody one by one,” said Stevens.

Good Deeds:

The couple is now using social media to help other storm victims find their pets.

Source: http://www.centralillinoisproud.com/story/the-search-for-stella-storm-victims-reunited-with-lost-dog/d/story/t2S2KghrTEap2eGkxedT1Q

No comments: