Sunday, April 13, 2014

Bella, boxer

Indiana family reunited with lost dog after five years
By Ryan Cumming
Posted: Apr 12, 2014

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) - Imagine losing touch with a beloved family member, and thinking you'll never see them again. But then, thanks to technology, you find them more than four years later. That's what happened to a family in southern Indiana, and WDRB was there Saturday for the reunion.

Outside a Louisville restaurant, Bryianna Portela is being as patient as possible. "So excited to see her," she says. "Wonder if she'll remember us. We're anxiously awaiting, what do you think about how far out they are?"


The reunion she's prayed for, is finally here. "There's a lot of adrenaline," she says. "I haven't even slept well, just kind of building up to it."

Nearly five years ago, their boxer mix, Bella, went missing from their home in southern Indiana. On Monday, April 7th, a call from a shelter more than 300 miles away. A microchip scan showed Bella was alive and well in Alabama.

Bryianna talked about the phone call she'd been waiting for. "They said 'are you so and so at this address and this number?' and I said 'yes', and I said 'well the last dog that I had micro-chipped, was this dog and it looked like this' and she sent a picture and I sent a picture and we verified that it was my dog and I was just shocked."

Her prayers were answered, and with the help of the shelter and Heart to Heart rescue volunteers, Bella is back in town.

"I see her, she has a pink collar on," said Portela, as she waited in a parking lot outside. An eager mom, and by the looks of the wagging tail, an excited pup. "It's been such a long time, my old friend."

Long enough that it may take time to adjust, especially since Bella was only about a 1 ½ when she went missing. "Bella, Bella! I wish I knew what they called her before but she'll have to get used to Bella again."

WDRB 41 Louisville News

The old friend, now a new addition to the family, complete with toys, treats, and a comfy new bed.

"Welcome home, welcome home Bella!"

The reunion, made possible by volunteer rescue groups who don't even know the family. Animal lovers, helping complete strangers.

"I didn't know there were people out there doing this, and I just want to thank you so much."

Source: http://www.wdrb.com/story/25232555/indiana-family-reunited-with-lost-dog-after-five-years

No comments: