Monday, November 24, 2014

Puppy Love, Chihuahua

Puppy Love's Capture
by Laura Weitner
November 24, 2014

It was late one Friday night when I was wasting time playing around on Facebook.  A friend tagged me in a post in a panic about her brother's dog that went missing earlier that day.

The dog, Puppy Love, is a 10 year old blind chihuahua with diabetes.  The dog had already missed 2 insulin shots so they were extremely worried.

I almost didn't do it because I was sick and it was freezing outside but I couldn't get it out of my head so I jumped in my truck and headed out.  A friend even phoned me and said 'Laura, you don't have to go look for every missing dog.  It isn't always your responsibility."

My response was, "If I don't do it, I know no one else will."  We do not have a community that really cares about finding missing pets, other than just asking someone else to do it or just simply sharing on Facebook.

I am so glad I went!  This honestly was my easiest find yet.


I knew the dog probably had not traveled far, but was worried that she was just hiding out somewhere and I wouldn't be able to see her in the dark.

I wanted to drive the neighborhood just to get my bearings when all of a sudden, a little dog ran across the road in front of me.  This was so easy I almost didn't believe what I was seeing.  She was a block from her home.

Puppy Love was in quite a panic, running aimlessly.  I could tell she was able to see just a bit because when I was behind her, she kept looking back and tried to run faster from me.  I think she could see the lights from my truck and maybe my shadow if anything.

Calming signals were not working at all with this mostly blind dog who was in an absolute state of panic.  So, I dismissed everything I was trained to do and just ran after her.  This was an old dog so I could easily outrun her.

I ran up to her and tried to scoop her up but she started snapping. So I got my snappy snare and secured her that way.  After allowing her to scream bloody murder for a couple of minutes, she finally calmed down.

I was able to pick her up with my jacket protecting me from getting bit.  Once she was in my arms, she was just precious, no fear biting at all.

I immediately reunited her with her family who was so relieved.  It was a good night! Afterwards, the family wrote me this letter which I felt was so nice:



November 9, 2014

I write this letter concerning a true friend to animals.

On Friday evening, the 7th of this month, unbeknown to us, my 10 year old, blind and diabetic Chihuahua decided to follow our dalmatian mix on an excursion through the neighborhood.

Usually our river lot is large enough to satisfy their adventure needs, but this day it proved insufficient. To make a long story short, Puppy Love (our Chihuahua) did not return with our dalmatian.

My wife, son, and I began searching our little township of Chesapeake, OH right away. After about four hours of looking, we came up empty handed. My sister and brother had notified all of their Facebook friends of the situation and asked them to help in any way they could since Puppy Love was blind and had well passed her time for insulin injection and feeding.

The happy ending came later that night when my sister’s good friend (our good and dear friend now), Laura Weitner, called me that she had found our Puppy Love and was bringing her to our home.

Thanks to Laura, our Puppy Love did not spend the night in the frigid cold, but rather was fed, given her medicine and slept in a nice warm bed with her mommy and daddy! We are truly thankful for you, Laura, and we consider you and angel to animals in need. We have an entire house full of rescue animals which we love and take care of to the best of our ability. It is both a pleasure and a blessing to meet others who have a genuine heart for animals in distress.

Thank you so very much!

Dean and Family





No comments: