Monday, March 9, 2009

Bandit, a Beagle

The woman that found this dog had brought him to a facility that was full, so she drove him to another clinic where hopefully he would find a few days rest while the search continued, or worst case, to be put to sleep. Thankfully, workers at the second clinic were determined to find a home for the dog, and immediately posted his profile on PETS 911. WHAT LUCK! Enjoy the story.

HAPPY TAILS

Below is a heart-warming tale from a proud mother and grandmother, Peggy A.:

As part of our farewell gathering for my son, who was leaving for Army basic training, we brought our family beagle, Bandit, to say goodbye to his master. During the hustle and bustle, our toddler grandson managed to release Bandit from the apartment patio. My son and his wife spent those remaining precious moments searching for our beloved beagle without success.

The next morning, my son left for basic training. His wife continued her search by placing lost dog posters throughout the apartment complex and calling the local animal shelters. Missing both her husband and Bandit, she cried herself to sleep. On Saturday morning, she shared with me that Bandit was missing. Several years ago, I had lost a young Beagle when a phone repairman left my gate unlatched, and never found him even after a search of 3-4 months. I was determined not to repeat that heartbreak.

I initiated my own search for Bandit. I drove to four local shelters and adoption facilities, anxious that the reduced holding period of only three days (vs. the previous policy of 10 days) would mean that Bandit had already been adopted out. As part of my comprehensive outreach, I also called PETS 911, as well as the contacts for all relevant found pet listings on the PETS 911 website. I even drafted my friends to help check on the website postings.

While en route from the South Mountain Humane Society to Carefree Highway, I drained my cell phone battery listening to a “found pet” listing posted by an emergency clinic on PETS 911. Since it was now after hours for the clinic, my main hope was to help them identify Bandit on their end. I struggled with my brother’s photo scanner and managed to upload Bandit’s photo to PETS 911. Sunday crawled by as I awaited the Monday morning opening of the Lookout Mountain Vet Clinic.

My determination was rewarded with a call from the clinic at 7:30 am on Monday. I threw on some clothes and hurried to their office with a flier in hand. Waiting as patiently as I could, I watched the office staff deal with the normal Monday madness. Finally, one of the assistants spotted the flier in my hand and, without a word, ran to the back to grab Bandit. I yelled out, “Bandit, baby!” and we ran to each other.

It turns out that Bandit was even luckier than I had realized. The lady that found Bandit had brought him to the Humane Society, but was told they were full. She then drove him to Lookout Mountain Vet Clinic, where hopefully he would find a few days rest while the search continued, or worst case, to be put to sleep. Thankfully, the clinic was determined to find a home for Bandit and immediately posted his profile on PETS 911. These gracious caretakers even refused any payment for a week’s care of my baby.

We’re still not sure how Bandit managed to lose his collar and tags, but both were replaced and microchipping has been scheduled. Thanks to PETS 911 – and to all of those that helped along the way -- we were reunited. Bandit will now await his master’s return within the safe confines of my home!


http://www.pets911.com/emailer/public/2006/4/index.html?PHPSESSID=0472284182d7638651302172adab9548

No comments: