Friday, March 27, 2009

Beau, German Shepherd

Nice story, told by the folks that found Beau. Enjoy!

Beau was Lost, AND FOUND!!!
Posted by Laurie and Alan
Monday, June 04, 2007

Gosh, what a weekend we had!

Alan was at an Elder Retreat until Saturday evening. While I was having my dinner in the library I noticed what I thought was a very large Coyote just below the window. I got up to see and noticed it wasn't a Coyote but a German Shepard, who wanted in at our front door, right now!

"Beau"

I went out to try and get him and see if he had a collar with a name tag. I finally found him out back trying to get into our conservatory doors. While Ceddie and Wesley barked and carried on inside, he didn't care, he wanted refuge, immediately! He was totally and completely lost and confused.

I was able to get him into the garage. As I looked him over I noticed he was a very well trained boy that was older (maybe 7-9 years I thought), I noticed that he had a weakness in his back legs. He had a blue collar, --but no tags! This was an elderly dog who was very lost and shaken up because of it. He just wanted to go home.

I tried to call Alan on his cell but because he was in the pass on his way home there was no reception. All I could do was to leave a message telling him to NOT open the garage door, otherwise he'd let the German Shepard out!

Unable to get a hold of Alan I went and got a garden chair and constructed a large sign that said, "Alan, do not open garage door!" I taped it on the chair and set in the middle of the driveway at the entrance, --he was sure to notice that!!!

I finally got a call from Alan, he was only 30 minutes away from home! I told him about the dog --we were on a mission to get this dog back home to his loved ones!

We called Vets around our area to find out which ones were open to scan for a microchip. We found one in Kirkland, an emergency care hospital. It was about 10pm by now. We headed out to the hospital with the Shepard, they scanned him --no chip... we were sick, how were we going to get this boy home?

The hospital gave us several phone numbers where we could leave him, the pound was one of them. I had heard that they euthanize after 3 days, NO WAY was he going there! PAWS was the only choice.

There was nothing more we could do... I cried that night. I felt so bad for this older doggie boy who was so visibly upset. The next morning Alan took him for a walk in our neighborhood, maybe he lived here... No, it was obvious he didn't.

We made color signs the next morning and would post them on our way to church. Before church I went out to the garage and laid my hands on him and prayed.

"Father", I prayed, "please help us find this doggie boys parents." I meant every word.

We posted the "Found Dog" signs along with all the other lost dog signs on the poles. We had made the decision to take him to PAWS, a "no kill" animal shelter after church. Our hearts were very heavy to say the least. I jumped out to tape our sign on yet another stop sign pole and glanced up...

"Lost Dog!" German Shepard
9 years old
Blue collar
"Beau"
Please call.......

I shouted to Alan as I was ripping the lost dog sign down! "I think this is the dog!" We stopped in the middle of the road and put on our flashers as he made the call. I could hear the woman on the other line screaming, "they found him!" She was crying and screaming with joy!

I can't describe the sense of utter relief that flooded my body that moment as I said a thank you to my Heavenly Father.

We turned around and headed back to our home to get Beau and take him home!

When we arrived the family came running out to greet their long lost dog and to thank us with hugs and tears. They told us that Beau had never left his property before. He just recently had had hip surgery and that they had called the very same Vet Hospital we had taken him to. But we failed to leave a number and the Vet Tech forgot to ask for one.

The owner had spent the night in the woods behind their home calling and looking for him because they thought that he'd been injured. And they hadn't slept at all that night. They posted their color signs, hoping for the call.

What a celebration we had in their front yard with Beau smiling from ear to ear!

As I was handing the lost and found signs to the owner I said, "I don't know if you folks are Christians but I've been praying for this dog."

The owner looked at me with a big smile and a laugh, non verbally I knew he was saying "thanks" in his own way.

We drove off with grateful hearts, a renewed faith in the power of prayer and the knowledge that yes, our Heavenly Father loves and cares even for our beloved pets!

Source: http://fromthewoodlands.blogspot.com/2007/06/lost-and-found-beau-gosh-what-weekend.html

No comments: