Thursday, December 30, 2010

Wesley, westie

Couple Injured In Crash, Reunited With Lost Dog
WNDU.com
Tuesday, December 28, 2010

ELKHART COUNTY, Ind. -- The story of an injured couple being reunited with their dog, lost after a horrible crash, is now being called The Miracle On The Toll Road.


The crash happened Thanksgiving weekend on the toll road in Elkhart County, according to WNDU.

Brad and Jessika Tetting were driving home to Alexandria, Va., when they collided with another car. The Tettings were brought to Elkhart General Hospital. Jessika had a concussion, a broken finger and cuts to the head and face. Brad was more seriously injured with broken ribs and a collapsed lung.

That evening, Mikey Kuykendall was driving on the toll road, on his way to his aunt's house for a family party. That's when he spotted a little white dog on the highway.

“He was going to get hit or freeze to death,” Kuykendall told WNDU. So he stopped and opened his car door. “I looked down and he just jumped right in, like he knew me or something.”

“He actually had all of his tags on him,” Kuykendall said. “They had numbers but we called the numbers and we got nothing.”

Kuykendall took note of the dog's apparent name, Wesley.

“Since everything was closed for the holiday weekend I decided to keep him for a little while, see if I could find his owners or not,” Keykendall said.

Meanwhile, his mother, Angie Kuykendall, went back to work the next day. She's a nurse at Elkhart General Hospital. She began caring for her new patient, Brad Tetting. His wife, Jessika, was at his side.

“At one point when I was at his bedside, something just clicked,” said Kuykendall. “The word Virginia came to my mind and I just started putting things together very quickly. My heart started to pound. I said, 'Virginia, you didn't happen to have a dog with you did you?' They both looked at me and their eyes got huge and they just looked at me. 'Did you have a little white dog? His name is Wesley?' Their eyes filled with tears. 'Yes we thought he died in the accident.' I said, 'no your dog's fine. He was at my house last night. He's had a bath. He's in good shape and in good hands.'”

A little while later, Wesley was finally reunited with his owners.

Brad, an Iraq war veteran, told WNDU Wesley is more than just a companion, he's his service dog.


“While I was recovering at Walter Reed, I met Jessika and we got engaged and married and [Wesley] has been the best form of therapy and companionship,” Brad said.

“I think every soldier returning from overseas should get a dog. It’s like Prozac with paws,” he continued.

The Tettings are now home in Virginia recovering from their injuries.

They are so thankful for the Kuykendalls, as well as Mikey's girlfriend, who helped care for the dog while they were hospitalized.



Story at: http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/5051
Also at http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=165978

No comments: