Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Fido, Staffordshire bull terrier

Bath resident finds dog 120 miles from home
Battersea Dogs & Cats Home
31 January 2012

The two year old Staffordshire Bull Terrier, named Fido, was taken to the world famous animal charity in London, over two hours away from the dog’s home in Bath, after he was found wandering the streets of Kensington by police. Like all dogs who arrive at the charity, Fido was scanned for a microchip – a tiny ID chip that sits under the animal’s skin – and staff were able to contact Mr Eyles to tell him they had his dog.

A dog from Bath who was missing for over eight months has been reunited with his family over 120 miles from home thanks to a microchip and Battersea.
Mr Eyles said: “I couldn’t believe it when I got the call from Battersea and travelled to London immediately to get Fido. I didn’t think I’d ever see my dog again, and it’s thanks to the microchip that we’ve been reunited. If it wasn’t for the microchip I’d never have found him – every dog owner should get it done. Fido is such a friendly boy and really popular where we live so I know lots of people in Bath will be pleased that he’s coming home.”

Last year Battersea took in almost 6000 dogs, of which only 28 per cent were microchipped. Tracey Maskell works in Battersea’s Lost Dogs & Cats Line team and helps reunite animals with their families.

She added: “Reuniting owners with their lost pets is the best part of the job and I was delighted to be the one to tell Fido’s owner that his dog was safe and sound. I couldn’t believe it when I found out how long he’d been missing and where he was from. This story just goes to show how important it is to make sure your pet has adequate identification. We encourage all dog and cat owners to have their pet microchipped and to wear a collar and tag.”

Source: http://www.battersea.org.uk/about_us/whats_new/bath_resident_finds.html

No comments: