Thursday, January 26, 2012

Grizzly Bear, German shepherd

Missing Dog Returns After 2 Years
Micro Chip Helps Reunite Dog, Owner
Cris Ornelas - 23ABC South County Reporter
January 25, 2012

TAFT, Calif. -- A family in Taft is thrilled to have their dog back two years after it first went missing.

Grizzly Bear is content to be home

The German shepherd named Grizzly Bear was rescued from the Kern County animal shelter as a puppy, but just a few months after finding a home, he disappeared.

Ella Trainor adopted Grizzly from the animal shelter at 7-months-old. Then, three months later, Grizzly vanished from the family's yard.

"He disappeared out of my yard," Trainor said. "I’m sure he was stolen because none of the gates were open and he couldn't jump because he actually hurt his hip the night before."

Trainor searched everywhere for Grizzly but never found a thing.

"I put up fliers. I put ads in the paper. I kept looking for him," she said.

Even after two full years passed, Trainor said she never gave up hope she'd find Grizzly.

"The week before I got the call I had told both my daughters, ‘I know my dog is not dead. Grizzly is somewhere and I am going to find him,’ and lo and behold I get a phone call the next Sunday," Trainor said.

Thanks to a microchip under his skin, Grizzly was identified by animal control after he was found in southwest Bakersfield.

Bakersfield, Calif. is about 26 miles from Taft, Calif.

"What I was told is that Grizzly followed a little girl home from school and he kind of wandered the streets and the dad put him in the back yard and called animal control," Trainor said.

Animal control reunited Trainor and Grizzly the same day.

"I was kind of emotional. I was bawling," Trainor said.

But where Grizzly was and what he did for two full years is still a mystery.


“We wish dogs could talk and tell us what happened," Trainor said.

Trainior said she paid to have Grizzly micro chipped, but now, all dogs adopted from Kern County animal control are required to be chipped.

Source, with video: http://www.turnto23.com/south_county/30290804/detail.html

No comments: