Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Shya, a hound

Bothell search party finds lost dog
posted on Tuesday, June 16th, 2009
by Baci

My dog friend, Shya, was rescued a few months ago after being abandoned by her owner. She had been neglected and abused and was very shy around people. She lived her entire life outside attached to a chain or in a small kennel. She never went to a park or rode in a car.

Since her rescue she moved into a new home and is extremely connected to her owner.
Now Shya enjoys swimming and running at local parks. She smiles and soars like the wind through the park trails.

Disaster struck on Sunday, June 14, when Shya escaped from her dog-walker at Penn Tell Park in Bothell, WA. Her leash was still attached, which added the concern that she would get it caught on something.

Within minutes of her escape dog owners visiting the park began searching for her. The search party grew to over 10 people, plus me…my job was to find her scent and sniff her out. Unfortunately, as daylight gave way to night, Shya was nowhere to be found. I miss her so much.

This is Baci, missing Shya
Monday, June 15, the search continued. Signs were posted and neighbors were alerted. Members or the search party scoured the neighborhoods by car and by foot all day Monday. Finally there was a ray of hope when somone called and reported a sighting of Shya back at the park at abouth 12:30pm Monday. I was so happy we might find my friend.

By Monday evening everyone was worried we would never see Shya again. She didn’t know the area at all and because she was always locked up she doesn’t know anything about life on the streets. Her distrust of people only added to the worry. Boy! I really need my friend back.

The search continued into the evening. Shya’s owner stayed at the park while friends of Shya refused to give up. We drove around the neighborhoods and talked to everyone out walking their dogs. We gave our cell numbers to about 50 people. The search party included Tracey and Jeff, Wanda, Marilyn, Joey, Crystal & Brian, Rick & Elizabeth, Mo and me. It was getting very late and dark and I worried that she didn’t have any food or water.

And then, a miracle happens, while the search party was out searching for her, Shya returned to the park and sat by her owners car. Everyone in the search party was called with the good news.

The lost dog Shya in the background; the author Baci in the front

As for me, I was never so happy to see my friend. I’ll never take her for granted again. And I was amazed by all the people willing to look for her. Thank you.

Source: http://dogsonblogs.com/?p=22

No comments: