Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Darla, border collie/shepherd mix

Dog reunited with family after six weeks missing
February 16, 2012

The Sousanis family is overjoyed after they were reunited with their dog Darla, who was lost for six weeks and had gone missing from their home just before Christmas. For Spiro Sousanis it was an emotional reunion. Darla has been Spiro's constant companion and loved and supported him through his recent health battles with diabetes and heart disease.


The six-year-old border collie cross German shepherd was found under a home in Smithfield, Australia last week. The resident who found her, had been leaving food out for her for weeks, but only realized the dog was sheltering under his home when his cat became "skittish" outside their house.

A friend showed him an article in the local newspaper about Darla, so the man phoned in, hoping the dog he had found was Darla.

"I had a strong feeling it could have been her before I went to his home," Spiro Sousanis said. Sousanis had been canvassing his neighborhood for weeks and called the local pounds every day to check if they had found her. He sensed his dog was still in the area, but he didn't know where else to look.

“When I got there, I couldn’t see under the house and I just said: ‘Darla’ and when I saw her head pop out I couldn’t believe it. I cried ‘oh my god, it’s my baby’,” he said.

Darla had a traumatic few weeks under the house, which was dark, wet and muddy. But other than having lost some weight, Darla got a clear bill of health from the vet. Said Sousanis: "To think she was just no more than a kilometre and half away from us; we drove past and walked past this house so many times. Bless the kindness of strangers. She isn’t just our pet, Darla is family."

Source: http://www.dogheirs.com/larne/posts/559-dog-reunited-with-family-after-six-weeks-missing

No comments: