Saturday, March 9, 2013

Booth, sheltie

Booth Found!
By Kristi Martin
March 9, 2013

Booth, a young shetland sheepdog, had been adopted by Kristi inlate February. This was Washington DC, and Booth had been in Kentucky beforethat.

A couple of weeks after Booth had been adopted, he and his brother, Derby, and Kristi were taking a walk in the neighborhood. Booth found an opportunity to break away to go do what he thought would be some fun exploring, and he bolted! This was on Tuesday, March 5th.

After initially trying unsuccessfully to catch up with him, Kristi sprang into action, pulling together many friends to begin a big flyering effort. She began a social media campaign as well, setting up a Facebook page and a blog to spread the word, communicate with volunteers, and make the flyer available,along with the sighting map. 

Also, she and some new supporters managed to get anumber of articles posted in as many as four online news outlets within the nextseveral days. Some sighting calls were coming in, which was not just helpfulbut critical to the search.

The break came just 3 1/2 days later, on Saturday morning. Hereis how Kristi tells the story (paraphrased):

Booth, on the left, with his brother Derby, who is so happy that Booth is home now!

At 7am this morning, Booth's newest friend Matt called me after seeing one of the flyers, to say that he spotted a dog that looked like Booth in the Mt Zion cemetery on 27th and Q Streets NW. I immediately went down with Derby to check it out. We walked the cemetery perimeter for about 30 minutes, leaving scent strips and the fried chicken and kibble special salad. No sighting for me. 

At 8:30am, my friend and I ran back down to the cemetery meeting another friend, John M, who came to look for Booth. We dropped more scent strips and more special salad. But, no sighting. Another kind stranger, Krishna, showed up and offered to continue to keep an eye out.

My friends, Andrea C and Katie M and I went for a run on the Mall. At 10am, I started receiving phone calls. First, from a woman whose friend was at the cemetery and so was Booth. Then, a man called saying there was a dog at the cemetery that matched the flyer. And, a third call. All from the flyers!

I told the man not to chase Booth, but just watch, and try to keep him in the area. I was on my way! 

Andrea, Katie, and I jumped into a cab at the Lincoln Memorial and told the cab driver all about it. Because I was out running, I didn't have any food. Andrea had Honeystringer gummy chews so I put them in the ziploc bag that  the special salad was in. Katie paid the cab, and I briskly walked toward the cemetery from Q Street NW.

When I got there, a number of everyday heroes were gathered near the fence that separates the Mt Zion cemetery from Oak Hill Cemetery. THEY HAD CAUGHT BOOTH! With the help of their little dog, the group of awesome strangers had circled Booth and got him against a fence. One man stepped on his leash, which thankfully Booth was still dragging, and that was it! 

We walked home and are now getting back into normal.

You would never know Booth had his little adventure as he pranced up Wisconsin Ave. There were a few people that recognized him and cheered! He is no worse for the wear, and I fear enjoyed his few days of adventure in Rock Creek Park.

Thank you to everyone that offered support, put up flyers, got the word out, sent tips, went searching for Booth, and just generally cared about this little guy. We will head to the vet next week to make sure everything is a-ok, and will be doing a good brushing this afternoon. Right now, he is wrestling with Derby, eating and generally being a little dog. 


Kristi, Booth, and Derby


No comments: