Friday, April 8, 2011

Pixie, Irish setter

Lost dog reunited 100 miles from home
Battersea Dogs & Cats Home
10 February 2011

A lost dog from Gloucester was reunited with her owner 100 miles from home, thanks to Battersea Dogs & Cats Home.

Clodagh Newington-Bridges from Ablington in Gloucestershire adopted Pixie the Irish Setter from the Irish Setter Rescue a week before visiting London to see relatives.


However while in London, 10 year old Pixie became separated from her new owner. Clodagh explained: “I opened the car boot and Pixie jumped out of the car and ran down the road. I tried to follow her and called her name, but she was too fast. Along with my grandchildren I spent hours combing the streets for her, and when we couldn’t find her I feared I’d never see her again, I was so worried.”

Clodagh informed the local London councils that Pixie was missing, in the hope that she may have been found by a dog warden, but there was no record of her. She then called Battersea’s Lost Dogs & Cats Line, who logged Pixie’s details, but were unable to find a match among the dogs recently brought into the Home.

However later that day Pixie was found by a member of the public, and brought to Battersea. Thanks to the Lost Dog Report Clodagh had registered, the charity was able to reunite the pair the next day.

Clodagh said: “I was so relieved to hear Pixie was at Battersea. I had of course heard of Battersea but I’d never visited, and I’m so thankful to everyone who helped reunite us, and to Battersea for being a first class doggy hotel for Pixie. I will now be a friend of Battersea for life, and if I lived nearer I’d love to be a dog walker there.”

Battersea’s Head of Intake & Assessing Liz McWalter said: “We normally reunite dogs with their owners who live within the M25, but as Pixie’s story shows, we are often able to help dogs and their owners from all over the country. Luckily Clodagh phoned us, but Pixie was also microchipped, and I would encourage all owners to ensure their dog is microchipped and to keep their contact details up-to-date. It is also vital dogs wear a collar and tag at all times, to ensure they can be reunited with their owner as soon as possible if they are lost.”

Source: http://www.battersea.org.uk/about_us/media_centre/press_releases/lost_dog_reunited.html

No comments: