Sunday, August 28, 2011

Honey, Yorkshire Terrier

Pensioner re-united with stolen dog
By Kate Proctor, Westmoreland Gazette Reporter
Thursday 25th August 2011

A PENSIONER has been reunited with her beloved dog, Honey, after it was taken in a burglary.

Barbara Whitham, 80, said she was delighted to see her prize-winning Yorkshire Terrier returned safe and sound after it was found wandering alone in a Bolton street.


“I couldn’t sleep I was so worried about her,” she said. “I kept thinking of her on her own and being scared so when we got the call to say she had been found I cried. It’s wonderful to have her back, she’s such a beautiful dog.”

Four-year-old Honey was taken by thieves during a break-in at her home in Whittington, near Kirkby Lonsdale, between 10.30am and 1.15pm on Friday, August 19.

Jewellery, including two gold chains and a diamond and sapphire Swarovski broach, were also taken, but Mrs Whitham’s other two Yorkshire Terriers were left in their baskets.

“I’d just gone out to get my hair done and when I came back I noticed the dogs weren’t on the sofa waiting for me like they usually are.

“I got in the house and saw a smashed window and there was just two of them - not three - I was just so upset,” said Mrs Whitham, whose Terriers regularly win awards at local shows.

After a frantic night’s worry, the pensioner was reunited with her pet on Saturday afternoon after a woman in Bolton found it and called Leigh Dogs and Cats Home.

Honey’s micro-chip quickly helped to identify the dog as belonging to Mrs Whitham and her son went to collect her straight away.

Lancashire Police said they did not know how the dog came to be in Bolton.

“I must say that anyone who has an animal should get them micro-chipped - it’s the only reason I got Honey back. I have no idea how it got to Bolton, it’s still a mystery at this stage,” said Mrs Whitham.

Detective Constable Jonathan Shaw is appealing for anyone with information about the burglary to come forward.

“If anybody has any information at all about this offence then I would urge them to come forward.

“Honey’s owner was left extremely upset at her disappearance, but thankfully she was returned to her in the end,” he said.

“However, there are a number of items of jewellery that are still outstanding, which are not only of monetary value, but of sentimental value too.”

In the past year, the number of missing dogs has almost doubled with animal charity Dog Lost handling 150 reports a week.

Source: http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/9213707.Pensioner_re_united_with_stolen_dog/?ref=twt&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Another version of the story at http://www.lep.co.uk/news/features_2_1844/barbara_s_joy_as_stolen_dog_is_home_1_3710552

Barbara’s joy as stolen dog is home Reunited -
Published on Thursday 25 August 2011 04:09

Barbara Witham and her Yorkshire Terrier, Honey

A pensioner has been reunited with her pet dog after she was stolen by burglars.

Barbara Witham, 80, of Whittington, in Carnforth, was distraught when she returned to her home to find she had been burgled and four-year-old Yorkshire Terrier Honey missing.

But they have now enjoyed an emotional reunion after Honey was traced to Bolton through her microchip.

Mrs Witham, a widow who has two children and three grandchildren, said: “It was so upsetting to find my home had been burgled.

“The stolen jewellery was of great sentimental value.

“But the thing that upset me the most was finding that Honey was missing. I was in a real state worrying myself sick with what had happened to her.”

Mrs Witham, who breeds Yorkshire Terriers and owns three dogs, had been to the hairdressers and shops on Friday August 19.

She said: “As soon as I walked through the back door, I knew something was amiss as the dogs did not rush up to greet me like they usually do.

“I found two of my dogs locked up in the lounge, but Honey wasn’t with them.

“A window was open and there were papers all over the place. I rushed upstairs looking for Honey and found my bedroom totally ransacked and clothes all over the place.

“Every bit of jewellery had gone.

“But there was no Honey and I didn’t sleep all night worrying about her.”

The following day, she received a telephone call from a cat and dog home informing her that a dog had been found in Bolton town centre and a scan had revealed it was Honey.

Mrs Witham, of Main Street, Whittington, Carnforth, said: “It was so wonderful to get Honey back.

“She was so hungry and thirsty, but was delighted to be back and kept licking and kissing everyone.

“If Honey had not been micro-chipped, I would never have seen her again.”

No comments: